Are you ready for more D23 Expo 2017 fun? You may remember me telling you earlier this week it would take me several posts to recap everything that came out of D23 Expo and well here we are.
Over the past few days, we have talked Disney Animation, Pixar and Marvel Studios. Now we need to talk rides, resort and of course food. Now to say I am excited is putting it mildly. I am pretty sure where ever you live you heard me scream several times over this past weekend when announcements came out. Yep, that screeching noise was me. So come take a walk with me and let’s go over everything that will be happening at Disney World and beyond.
D23 Expo 2017: Walt Disney Parks and Resorts Recap + Much More
Hollywood Studios is a favorite of my son’s. he loves riding the Star Tours over, over and over again. For me I love the old Hollywood feel to it. I am also pretty tickled pink with all the upcoming things heading to Hollywood Studios. Shall we take a look?
- Star Wars-themed land update – Star Wars: Galaxy’s Edge is the name of the new Star Wars-themed land opening in 2019 at Disney’s Hollywood Studios, after the opening of the land at Disneyland Resort. Guests will encounter several characters, including:
- Kylo Ren
- Mickey and Minnie’s Runaway Railway – In this game-changing attraction, Mickey and Minnie’s Runaway Railway will feature an original story that will take guests on a journey inside the world of Disney Channel’s Emmy Award-winning “Mickey Mouse” cartoon shorts using new technologies that turn the flat cartoon world into an incredible dimensional display. Located inside the Chinese Theatre, this new attraction will replace The Great Movie Ride, which will close Aug. 13, 2017. Opening for Mickey and Minnie’s Runaway Railway will be announced at a later date.
- Toy Story Land – Toy Story Land at Disney’s Hollywood Studios is scheduled to open summer 2018.
I can’t believe EPCOT is celebrating 35 years this year. I remember the excitement of when it first opened. Yes, I’m that old. I must admit as a self-proclaimed foodie the International Food and Wine Festival is one of the highlights of my year but after hearing all the cool things happening to EPCOT I have a feeling the magic is only starting.
- “Guardians of the Galaxy” – Epcot will have a brand new E-ticket attraction within Future World based on the rockin’ and action-packed world of Guardians of the Galaxy. This is the next step in how guests can encounter these characters at Walt Disney World Resort. To make way for this new adventure, Ellen’s Energy Adventure inside Universe of Energy will close Aug. 13, 2017. The new attraction will open by the 50th anniversary of Walt Disney World Resort in 2021.
- “Ratatouille” – Within World Showcase, in an all-new space in the France pavilion, a new “Ratatouille”-inspired attraction will take guests on a dazzling chase across a kitchen with the sights, sounds and smells of Gusteau’s Parisian restaurant. Patterned after the number one family attraction at Disneyland Paris, the new attraction will open by the 50th anniversary of Walt Disney World Resort in 2021.
- China Pavilion – To showcase the splendor and majesty of China, an updated film will be added using a next-generation digital camera system to film a brand new, seamless Circle-Vision show for the
- Mission: SPACE – In addition to an updated Orange Mission, a brand new Green Mission will take guests on a stunning tour around the Earth, with younger cadets joining the adventure for the very first time. Mission: SPACE will reopen this August.
- New restaurant – Adjacent to Mission: SPACE, a new table-service restaurant will invite guests to travel high above the Earth for an unforgettable dining experience. The new restaurant will be managed by Patina Restaurant Group and an opening will be announced at a later date.
This is the park that every child dreams of seeing when they arrive for the first time at Disney. With the iconic Cinderella castle and the magical walk down Main Street. I love to just sit and watch people react to seeing Disney for the first time. The pure joy and excitement is very heart warming.
- “Tron”-themed attraction – The highest rated attraction at Shanghai Disneyland is coming to Tomorrowland in a new area near Space Mountain. The opening will be announced at a later date.(childhood dream of being part of this game is coming to life)
- Live entertainment theater – Based on the iconic Willis Theater in the 1920s Kansas City where Walt lived after he left Marceline, this new addition to Magic Kingdom Park will be located off of Main Street U.S.A. and will be an entirely new venue for world-class entertainment. The opening will be announced at a later date.
If you know me at all you know I am a huge fan of staying on property when visiting Disney. I have been on a mission over the last 3 years to make my way through all the resorts. Which is fun but now Disney is making it even more fun with 2 new editions.
- Disney Riviera Resort – The proposed 15th Disney Vacation Club property will be located near Epcot with a rooftop restaurant that has unbelievable views of nighttime spectaculars at Epcot and Disney’s Hollywood Studios. The opening will be announced at a later date.
- Immersive Star Wars-themed hotel – An immersive Star Wars-themed hotel will be the most experiential concept ever. Dedicated entirely to the galaxy of Star Wars, guests will have a one-of-a-kind experience where a luxury resort meets a multi-day adventure in a galaxy far, far away. The opening will be announced at a later date.
Disney has always been great about transportation options. From boasts to buses there is always a way to get where you are going. Now Disney is adding more options for transportation.
- Disney Skyliner – This new transportation system will give guests a bird’s-eye view of Walt Disney World Resort. Disney Skyliner will connect Epcot and Disney’s Hollywood Studios to four resorts – Disney’s Art of Animation Resort, Disney’s Pop Century Resort and Disney’s Caribbean Beach Resort, as well as the proposed 15th Disney Vacation Club property, Disney Riviera Resort. Opening date for Disney Skyliner will be announced at a later time.
- Minnie Van service – Starting later this month, the Minnie Van service is a whimsical, point-to-point transportation service that will help guests get around Walt Disney World Resort in a jiffy. Guests can arrange their own private Disney vehicle right from their smart phone, and a Disney Cast Member will drive them wherever they want to go around Walt Disney World.
Outside of Walt Disney World and Beyond
Disney Cruise Line Expansion Disney Cruise Line announced last year that they were building two new ships. At the D23 Expo, it was revealed that there is a third new ship coming!
California Adventure Park Super Heroes Spider-Man and the Avengers will join Guardians of the Galaxy at Disney California Adventure Park. More details on this to come!
Pixar Pier More updates for Disney California Adventure Park include a new look for Paradise Pier by creating neighborhoods filled with stories from some of your favorite Pixar movies. This permanent addition will open during a limited time celebration in 2018. The very popular Paint The Night parade will return, but this time to Disney California Adventure park!
Disneyland Paris Marvel Characters Disney’s Hotel New York will be updated to include Marvel theming! Who doesn’t want to stay in a resort that reflects the worlds of The Avengers, Spider Man and Iron Man?
Which update are you most excited about?