I come from a long line of military men in my family. My great-grandfather was in the Marines, my grandfather and uncle were in the Marines, my dad was in the Army and my brother was in the Marines. I also have cousins in the Air Force and Navy. So holidays like Memorial Day, Veterans Day and Fourth of July all have great meaning to me as it does to anyone with a military connection.
Which is why I am so excited to have been invited to the 7th Annual Freedom Festival at Orange Park Mall. This event is all about having fun with the family while celebrating our military.
Seventh Annual Freedom Festival in Orange Park FL
The Seventh Annual Freedom Festival is the Orange Park Mall’s annual Fourth of July celebration, which will be held this year on Saturday, June 24 from 10 a.m. to 10 p.m. The free patriotic tribute, now in its seventh year, will honor the sacrifices of the men and women who serve our nation, paying special tribute to those based out of NAS Jacksonville, NS Mayport, and Camp Blanding, as well as local First Responders.
- Special military tributes: Freedom Festival begins at 3 p.m. following The Honor Guard Parade at 10 a.m., which features honor guards from throughout Florida. Orange Park Mall has also partnered with USO Jacksonville to provide opportunities for military members to meet musical guests at the event.
- Food Truck Wars: New to Freedom Festival is Food Truck Wars, a competition for taste buds featuring 40 food trucks like local favorites Roccos Pizzeria Food Truck & El Mariachi Loko. The competition kicks off at 3 p.m. Judges, including Chef Emeritus Jim Whaple of the Florida Restaurant & Lodging Association, will be critiquing the mobile chef masters for five awards.
- Live musical performance by David Lee Murphy: There are a variety of live musical shows throughout the event starting at 3 p.m. David Lee Murphy performs at approximately 7:30pm.
- KidX Parade: The annual children’s bike parade will take place at 5:00 p.m., where children decorate their bikes or wagons and compete for prizes.
- Fireworks: The event concludes with a spectacular fireworks display, starting at 9:15 p.m.
what is your favorite way to celebrate 4th of July?