What’s a mom to do when her teen son ask for a Mardi Gras themed party? She calls the experts Oriental Trading. Because putting together the perfect party is easy with the right help.
I love Oriental Trading company. I have been a fan since son’s first birthday when I bought all my supplies from them. Since then they have been my go to party planner. They have everything from party favors to party hats and so much more.
Putting Together a Mardi Gras Party
Putting together the perfect party is easy if you have these three factors food, fun and friends
Friends ~ Let’s start with friends. Inviting people you enjoy hanging out with is key. No wants to be around people who are crabby and cranky so invite people you like and you know you have fun with.
Fun ~ Having fun things to do is always good. for this Mardi Gras party I set a photo booth because we all know teens are into selfies these day. I laid out an assortment of mask and let the kids have fun. I also got an awesome photo booth back drop to get the kids excited.
Food ~ whether you go big with Gumbo and shrimp or smaller with finger foods and bite size nibbles it wouldn’t be a Mardi Gras party without a King Cake. For this party I went with King Cupcakes because teen like to eat on the move plus these are a huge hit when I make them. (Recipe Below)
- 1 box white cake mix
- 1 cup sour cream
- 2/3 cup canola oil
- 1/3 cup sugar
- 4 eggs
- 3 tablespoons lemon gelatin mix
- 3 tablespoons lime gelatin mix
- 3 tablespoons grape gelatin mix
- Cream Cheese frosting (canned frosting or your favorite homemade recipe)
- Yellow, green, and purple colored sugar
- Place a cupcake paper in the muffin tins for 24 cupcakes.
- Preheat the oven to 350° F.
- Combine the cake mix, sour cream, canola oil, sugar, and eggs in a large mixing bowl. Beat on low for 30 seconds and then for 2 minutes on medium.
- Divide the batter evenly into three smaller bowls.
- Add 3 tbsp. of lemon gelatin to one of the bowls, 3 tbsp. of lime gelatin to a second bowl, and 3 tbsp. of grape gelatin to the third bowl of batter; stir until the gelatins are well blended with the batter.
- Fill each of the cupcake papers with two tablespoons of each of the three different flavored batters.
- Place in the preheated oven and bake for 15 to 20 minutes, or until a toothpick poked in the center comes out clean.
- Allow cupcakes to cool for 10 minutes in the tins; then remove and cool completely on a wire rack.
- Frost cooled cupcakes with cream cheese frosting. Use canned frosting or use your favorite homemade cream cheese frosting recipe.
- Sprinkle the frosting with yellow, green and purple colored sugar.
Miscellaneous items ~ Other items used to pull off this party were table-cloth, party favors, plates and my favorite thing fun confetti.
I admit the whole party was a big hit. for your next party consider using Oriental Trading for your party headquarters because not only do they have a wide variety of party supplies they also work on a mom’s budget.
Let’s talk: What is your best party tip? Do you use a party supply store or hand make everything?
Disclaimer: I received a box of party supplies to host this awesome party. However all opinions and words are my own and I never recommend anything we as a family do not enjoy our self.